Monday, December 24, 2007

Michael Chiang's Private Parts


I tried selling Singapore playwright Michael Chiang's Private Parts and Other Play Things - A Collection of Popular Singapore Comedies (Landmark Books, 1994) online but it remained unsold for several months. Sigh. Guess it will end up at the used book section of the public library.

I must have read the book 14 years ago and cannot remember anything about the contents whatsoever.

But when I flipped through it this week, I found two paragraphs I highlighted at that time.

1. Edward: "We are witnessing this so-called liberalization in Singapore (pictured). It started with the easing of censorship. The more open-style of government. The let's-hear-what-everybody-has-to-say philosophy. Great! but deep down, people don't change. These perceptions and prejudices remain as narrow as ever."

2. Mirabella: "Was I that wrong about you? Did I see something that wasn't there? I've always been so sure of everything. Were you the one honest man I hoped for? Or were you just one more betrayal?"

Warren: "Oh Mirabella. I never betrayed you. Yes, I could have loved you. But it just wasn't out place and it wasn't our time."

What was I thinking at that time when I highlighted the portions? Funny they still manage to strike a chord in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home