Monday, July 02, 2007

Who is Sir David Wilson?


One of the accounts that impressed me most while reading a compilation of articles about the Hong Kong handover was the "confession" of a Chinese Central Television (CCTV) staff.

The book in question was titled 回归的瞬间 (or The Moment of Reunification, 1998). It was a compilation of articles written by journalists, editors and staff of CCTV's English channel. All of the writers were involved in the live television broadcast of the handover.

The staff in question was Chang Yiru (常怡如), who was involved mainly in translating and editing.

But on the morning of 1st July 1997, she was asked to help a journalist from the station's Chinese section in conducting random interviews, as the journalist does not speak English.

Chang recalled that the journalist approached "an elderly westerner" who had silvery hair and was smartly dressed. "He seemed very distinguished," Chang recalled.

Chang added: "The face looked familiar. Where had I seen this man before? But with no time to search my memory, abruptly I asked the obvious question, "May I have your name, please?" He seemed a little surprised, and replied "you don't know who I am?"

"Feeling awkward, I hesitated. He went on, "if you don't know who I am, I won't answer your questions."

It turned out that the "elderly westerner" was former Hong Kong governor Sir David Wilson (pictured).

When Chang's memory returned, it was of course too late, as Sir Wilson had walked away. She blamed herself for having forgotten who he was "at the critical moment."

I do not blame Sir Wilson for walking away.

But I am impressed with Chang for admitting to the mistake and making it public. She is right that the appeal of television news "lies in its complexity and variety", that "curiosity and enthusiasm alone are far from enough," and that "there is no substitute for experience."

I am sure she has come a long way since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home